Monday, September 2, 2013

Calabash Sept 1 2013

Sunday morning we were off to Shallotte, a small town about 8 miles north of Calabash,  for "wash day".  The only good thing about a laundromat is that you can do multiple loads at the same time and get in and out of there pretty fast.  To me, there aren't many places that are more depressing than laundromats.  Later in the afternoon, we visited with Plish and John at their condo for awhile, and then we all headed over to Paul & Jay's home.  After the "befores", Jay treated us to a tasty southern dish called Chicken Bog...chicken and smoked sausage with rice, which Bob insisted on calling "Chicken Bob".   After dinner, Paul suggested we play a game similar to Uno, but neither Jay nor Paul were very sure of the rules, and after the quick pace of Michigan Rummy, I decided the name of the game should be Watch Paint Dry.  So, we all agreed to switch to Michigan Rummy and once again had a fun time with that.  Jay is an avid gardener, and she and Paul have a variety of garden decorations in their yard.  I had given her a little statute with 3 elves : Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil, See No Evil.  Jay thought that was very representative of herself, Plish, and me.  Since Jay is somewhat hard of hearing, we decided she should be Hear No Evil.  Plish needs glasses, so she was See No Evil, leaving Speak No Evil to me.  Although that is not very indicative of my personality since I tend to have a vitriolic tongue, I guess I will have to try to  live up to my "gnome-enclature." 
Jay showing us the pencil/pen holder she had made in the pottery course which Paul had gotten as a Christmas gift for her one year.  She loves pottery, and said the class certainly gave her a new appreciation of the skill it takes to create the vases, bowls, and other wheeled items.
Plish wondered how to keep from looking like she had double chins. I said someone once suggested lifting your head up.  While this technique might be effective, it might not be as flattering as having double chins!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment